590 – Snaaaaaaake!
on January 8, 2016
So, I’ve written variant rules for all of these:
- Sharks and Ladders
- Also known as Drakes and Ladders, Snakes are replaced with Sharks. Landing on a Shark results in losing the game immediately. Games tend to be short and have no winners.
- Snakes and Adders
- Replace all Ladders with Adders. Adders work exactly like Snakes.
- Gates and Ladders
- Ladders connect each section of the board. Sections are bounded by two impassable gates which reverse your direction when reached.
- Snakes and Llamas
- Replace Ladders with Llamas. Landing on a Llama allows you to pick it up, and cancel out the next snake you land on.
- Snakes and Lazers
- This is a roborally variant, where the snakes have lasers that fire each turn. Avoid.
- Snakes and Lagers
- Also known as Snakes and Bladders. Remove all Ladders. Landing on a Snake gives the player a choice between using the snake, or having a drink. The player loses if they need to take a bathroom break.
- Snails and Ladders
- Replace all Snakes with Snails. Snails reduce the value of all your future dice rolls by 1, (minimum 1)
- Stakes and Ladders
- A betting variant. Replace all Snake spaces with Stake spaces. When a player lands on a Stake space, they either choose to double the value of the game’s stakes, or forefeit (much like doubling in backgammon)
- Cakes and Ladders
- Replace Snakes with Cakes. If you land on a cake space, you may eat the cake. You may not take turns until you have finished the cake.